Chris is a Partner of Robertsons' Private Equity and Commercial Department and has been with the firm since he came to Hong Kong more than twenty five years ago. His practice includes mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity, funds and corporate restructuring. He also handles a wide range of securities and compliance work, particularly for SFC registered intermediaries and is developing a fast expanding practice revolving around the fintech industry where he has been advising clients on legal and regulatory issues relating to a variety of fintech products and offerings.
Chris also has considerable experience advising the financial services sector on service conditions and benefits for senior management as well as the enforceability of post termination covenants.
He is a frequent speaker on issues of Hong Kong Corporate Law as well as Directors' Rights, Duties and Responsibilities.
Chris is a member of the Robertsons Management Committee. He is also the former National Presidential Delegate of the International Association of Young Lawyers and currently a member of the Law Society Working Party on Incorporation of Solicitors Practices.
- Acted as lead counsel on two separate Management Buy Outs of regional satellite operators and equipment distributors.
- Advised Stock Exchange participant brokers on both the buy and sell sides of disposals/acquisitions of their regional businesses, including procuring the relevant regulatory consents.
- Represented a Hong Kong based property fund in negotiations with debt instrument holders and a restructuring to a new fund with a debt/equity swap.
- Acted as Hong Kong counsel on a billion dollar leveraged buyout of an international pharmaceutical organisational, including relevant security documentation and whitewash procedures.
- Acting for minority shareholders and minority representation on boards of directors in statutory and common law powers against the board of directors to force production of exercising documents in connection with the misfeasance of controlling shareholders.
- Advising boards of Hong Kong main board listed corporations on corporate governance issues including the setting up and operation of audit, remuneration and nominations committees, as well as working with management in preparation for shareholders’ annual and extraordinary general meetings.
- Representing several fintech businesses on their Hong Kong compliance issues.
- Provided due diligence, structuring and financing advice on a private equity acquisition of a regional group providing trading platforms and related products.
- Speaks English, French, German, Cantonese and Mandarin
- LLB (Hons), University of Birmingham, England
- Diplome Superieur de Francais des Affaires - Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie de Paris
- Solicitor, England & Wales (1990)
- Solicitor, Hong Kong (1991)
- Solicitor, Australia (1993)